It took much longer than expected to update our dresser [a handle order that went wrong having a newish baby = things now take 42 times longer than I'd like], but despite the delay, I'm more than delighted with how it turned out.Because our dresser was so dark, it took 3 coats of 'Strawberry Vanilla' to cover the previous paint.
This time it has made its way into our master bedroom.
There are several projects that we are working on around here that are big budget items (along with paying for daughter’s college expenses), so changing out furniture in our bedroom just wasn’t even something to consider, but I was tired of the Queen Anne styling of some of the pieces in there…particularly this dresser and its attached mirror. So…summer I decided that if I replaced the mirror with a more simply designed one, I could live with it.
I thoroughly mixed the lacquer, applied the first coat and waited 24 hours before applying the second coat as per the instructions on the tin.
My one mistake was I didn't thoroughly mix the lacquer before I applied the second coat and the second coat came out streaky.
Then we’ll be able to use the dresser for storage and clothes as our first born ages and outgrows the nursery. It’s actually the dresser my parents bought as part of an entire bedroom suit for me when they were expecting their second child. Not in the most pristine condition, given that it’s about 24 years old, but perfectly perfect for lining dresser drawers!
So I got to work measuring the bottom of the drawers.
(We’ve lived with this one well over ten years – a record for me. I like the look much better, and it doesn’t feel so dated to me now.
:)) I would like a golden yellow print in the drapes and linens, and I really like the look of stained wood with that. Instead, I updated it by changing out the hardware. And of course, if the dresser got new hardware, the highboy needed it too.
I let the dresser dry for about 6 hours between each coat before adding the lacquer finish.