The Wandsworth and Clapham Union was renamed the Wandsworth Union in 1904.
The Wandsworth and Clapham Guardians leased another site from Earl Spencer on the north side of St John's Hill where a new union workhouse was erected in 1838-40 to designs by George Ledwell Taylor.
The Huddersfield township workhouse was at Birkby, at the south side of Blacker Lane. The rectangular building, presumably of more than one storey, was surrounded by cultivated grounds to the front and rear. Almondbury's workhouse lay at the west of the township, at the junction of Kaye Lane and Wheatroyd Lane. The Golcar township workhouse was at Pike Law, to the south of Scapegoat Hill. Honley had a workhouse from as early as 1703, thought to be located at Victoria Place in Thirstin.
A separate block to the south-east of the main building contained a washing (i.e. It was replaced in 1763 by a new workhouse erected nearby, on land that had donated by the Earl of Dartmouth. A Lepton workhouse stood to the south-east of Fenay Bridge, on what is now Fenay Bankside, off Station Road. Lindley's workhouse stood to the north of what is now Moor Hill Road. The Linthwaite workhouse was at the south side of what is now Causeway side. Lockwood, one of the largest townships in the Huddersfield area, erected a workhouse in 1761.
The house, still known as Poor House, is a rare survivor amongst Huddersfield workhouses. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 41 in number, representing its 34 constituent parishes and townships as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): Yorkshire — West Riding: Almondbury (2), Austonley, Cumberworth Half, Cumberworth Lower, Cartworth, South Crosland, Dalton, Farnley Tyas, Foolstone, Golcar, Hepworth, Holme, Honley (2), Huddersfield (5), Kirkburton, Kirkheaton, Lepton, Lingards, Linthwaite, Lockwood, Longwoods, Meltham, Marsden in Almondbury, Marsden in Huddersfield, Netherthong, Quarmby with Lindley, Scammonden, Shelley, Shepley, Slaithwaite, Thurstonland, Upperthong, Upper Whitley, Wooldale (2).
Later additions: Scholes (from 1894), Skelmanthorpe (from 1876).
The course is immediately to the North of the Farm steadings, and comprises three large fields, being a splendid place of old turf, and along with charming scenery. The game of golf is beginning to be more appreciated in this locality than hitherto, a course within easier reach is much wanted.” “The return match between Kinross and Cowdenbeath took place on the Cowdenbeath course.
As an inland course, it is said by some of the experts at golf to be second to none in Fifeshire.” (DSP 1.6.1889) ‘The final tie for the challenge cup came off here on Wednesday afternoon, between D. The game was played in a dense mist, which obscured the greens and seriously hindered the strangers in their approaches. The Act provided for: "...enclosing a piece of waste ground in the Borough and township of Kirkby in Kendal for the benefit of the poor, and cleansing the streets of the town, and for confirming a rule or order of assize and order of the high court of Chancery, relative to the rates and assessments to be raised for the relief of the poor, by the inhabitants of the said township, and the owners of lands, called Park and Castle Lands." Under this Act, the mayor of Kendal and twelve other inhabitants were empowered to make orders for maintaining and employing the poor, along with a range of other matters such as setting out roads, cleansing and lighting the streets, levying fines for nuisances, enforcing the payment of rates and penalties etc. A committee room was added in 1823, and fever wards in 1829.In 1769, Kendal erected a workhouse on Stricklandgate — at the bottom end of House of Correction Hill — now Windermere Road. As was normal practice, Kendal workhouse tried to find places for older children as apprentices as demonstrated by a handbill, probably dating from the 1820s. In the township of Kirkland, at the south side of Kendal, a workhouse was established in 1809 at the head of what became Poor-House Lane, now Anchorite Place. Kirkby Lonsdale formed a Gilbert Union with sixteen other townships (in Westmorland: Barbon, Casterton, Firbank, Hutton Roof, Killington, Middleton, and Old Hutton; in Lancashire: Arkholm with Cawood, Burrow with Burrow, Cantsfield, Leck, Melling with Wrayton, Tunstall, and Whittington; in Yorkshire: Burton in Lonsdale, and Thornton in Lonsdale).The result was as expected, though Yule had to plat an extra three round before he could dispose of his opponent. The monthly gold medal was won on Saturday by Mr T. Beveridge with a net score of 86.” (DP 17.6.1893) “A match between teams chosen by the Captain and Treasurer furnished the members with one of the most interesting matches of the season. Designed by Richard Peddar, it was described as "a neat, airy, and pleasant building, large enough to contain 80 persons." In 1776, Peddar drew up plans for an additional wing. The paupers were "farmed" by a contractor who was paid by the township. The union erected a workhouse in 1811 at a cost of £2,150.